Jeffrey B. Kaplan is an AV-rated lawyer who focuses his law practice on securities arbitration and litigation and plaintiff-side class action litigation, representing individual and institutional investors in stockbroker misconduct and securities and investment fraud matters. He also represents securities industry professionals in U-4, U-5, and promissory note disputes. Mr. Kaplan has routinely been named a “Top Lawyer” by the South Florida Legal Guide. In 2012, FINRA nominated Mr. Kaplan to serve on the National Arbitration and Mediation Committee, which is an advisory committee that makes recommendations and drafts rules, regulations, and procedures governing FINRA arbitration.
He has extensive experience handling NASD, FINRA, NYSE, and AAA securities arbitration matters and has recovered millions of dollars on behalf of defrauded investors. Mr. Kaplan has authored a number of articles on stockbroker misconduct, and he is a recognized authority on the subject. He often serves as a guest lecturer on securities fraud and stockbroker misconduct, and has been invited to speak to investor groups, accountants, and other professionals throughout the country concerning investor protection.
Mr. Kaplan is a past Chairperson and current Board member of the Young Philanthropists of Baptist Health. He also is a former Chairperson of a Florida Bar Grievance Committee and a member of the Miami-Dade County Bar Association SEC Litigation Committee. He is active in the Greater Miami Jewish Federation Attorneys Division and is a Member of the Miami Innovation Fund, which provides pre-seed funding to technology start ups.
Areas of Practice
- Securities Arbitration and Litigation
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Florida, 1994
- University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida
- Juris Doctor cum laude – May, 1994
- Honors: Dean’s List
- Law Review: Entertainment and Sports Law Review, Associate Editor
- Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration magna cum laude – June, 1990
- Honors: Dean’s List
- Honors: Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society
- Choate Rosemary Hall, Wallingford, CT – 1985
Honors and Awards
- Southern California’s Top Rated Lawyers of 2014 and 2015, ALM (formerly American Lawyer Media), 2014 and 2015.
- “Top Lawyers” List, South Florida Legal Guide, 2007 – Present
- Legal Elite List, Florida Trend Magazine, 2006 – Present
- “Up & Coming” Lawyers List, South Florida Legal Guide, 2003 – 2006
- Florida Superlawyer, 2008 – Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Young Philanthropists of Baptist Hospital, Chairperson 2010 – present, Member Steering Committee 2009-2010
- Greater Miami Jewish Federation – Pacesetter, Chair, 2010 Annual Judicial Reception, Vice Chair, 2009 Annual Judicial Reception, Chair of Corporate Underwriting, 2008 Annual Judicial Reception, Attorneys Division Mentoring Committee, 2006 – 2008
- United Way Tocqueville Society
- University of Miami Alumni Association, Director-at-Large, 2007
- Florida Bar Grievance Committee
Past Employment Positions
- Hanzman & Criden, P.A., Partner, 2002 – 2003
- Hanzman & Criden, P.A., Associate, 1997 – 2001
- Law Offices of Steven R. Simon, P.A., Associate, 1996 – 1997
- Coopers & Lybrand, L.L.P., Associate, 1994 – 1996
- Shearson Lehman Brothers, Inc., Research Assistant, 1990 – 1991
- Boston Edison Company, Intern/Finance Research Assistant, 1990
Pro Bono Activities
- Habitat for Humanity
- Youth Soccer coach Volunteer, Pinecrest Premier Soccer Club
*CV, BV, and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards, and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.